We will come to you, and set up 50-100 hands-on activities. Following a brief introduction, students will be free to explore the activities. ACCHaoS staff will be there to facilitate and answer questions. Activities include explorations in light, magnetism, air pressure, waves and sound, and electricity.
What We Need
Our needs are pretty simple. We need:
- About an hour before our first group of students:
- We need someone to direct to us to where we’ll set up for the day, and who will make sure that everything is in order.
- A place to set up
- We need one room with about twelve large (conference table-size) tables for the activities.
- Electrical power
- Some, but not all, of our activities require electricity. We will bring power strips and extension cords, but we will need access from at least one or two tables to some electrical outlets – two is okay; more is better. We’ll work with what we have! We’ll arrange the tables, set up the activities, and get everything ready for students.
- A schedule for the day
- Please try to schedule students for 30-45 minutes sessions if possible. Younger students (K-2nd) do well with shorter time periods of about 30 minutes. If possible, please schedule at least 5 minutes between student groups so we can straighten up and reset the activities. And please schedule in a lunch break for us too!
- Teachers and maybe some parent volunteers
- We want teachers to enjoy the fun and learning with their students. With younger students it is helpful to have some extra hands to supervise, read signs to the students, and help them work with the activities. Parent volunteers or older student helpers are great for this! We guarantee that they’ll have fun too!
- Lunch 🙂 If we’re spending all day at your school, we will need to eat lunch. We love it when schools offer us lunch.
- Best of all, ACCHaoS, an outreach program for Austin Community College, is free of charge to area schools.